Friday, August 23, 2013

This I Trust


This I Trust

Why must I believe certain spectacular or supernatural things in order to participate in Christian gospel?  Can’t the fullness of Christian gospel be preached also in secular tongue?

For I trust the experience of a divine embrace in the universal embrace of existence itself.

I trust the experience of a holy presence in the still and profound inner light of my soul.

And I trust the experience of healing in life through the teachings of Jesus and the stories about him.

In short:  I trust the presence of God in the temple of existence around me (as Father).  I trust the presence of God at the altar of consciousness inside me (as Spirit).  And I trust the incarnation of God in the blessings and on the cross of the human condition (as Son).  Moreover, I trust the rebirth of life that comes from connecting the divine centers of our hearts to the work of our humble mortal hands (i.e. Resurrection).  And I trust that all humans share some kind of faith like this for the collective cause of creating more compassion, justice, and peace in our world (as Kingdom).


So I ask, what set of spectacular beliefs could make this salvation more complete?


Indeed, trust even in a blessed afterlife if you choose.  But surely that would be found likewise in an open experience of trusting, not as a reward that can be earned for holding certain sets of beliefs.

As for me, I plan to embrace death as I have embraced life, with trust.  At the end of a lifetime of experiencing the sure but always tentative embrace of existence and consciousness I hope to experience death with the same full and open trust which I have found to transcend all guarantees in the first place.

For I have found that the promise of Christian gospel is in the experience of trust itself.













No comments:

Post a Comment