Sunday, April 28, 2013

Immovable Text



Scripture is not authority
Its inspiration
Otherwise
Why keep quoting it and not just do it once and for all?

I know the love of Jesus
Not because the Bible tells me so
But because I feel it in my heart

No book can do that
It just so happens
That what I read resonates
With what’s already in me

In deed, Divine Love transcends
Not only scripture
But the Christian story itself

So to be truly inspired
Holy Word must be borne in every trough
It must bear the deepest and darkest plot of love
Not just for some stories, but for all

And when this Love has done its work
We nonetheless insist that it must die
On ink and paper, buried inside immovable text!

And yet the Gospel truth
Is that between the blowing and crinkling pages of life
This Word rises to live again and again
Each day in our hearts.













No comments:

Post a Comment