Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Backwoods Redneck Un-believin’ Gospel




Ain’t nothin wrong with your soul
Only thing corruptible is the mind
Nothing but a brain’s belief
In a tricksy curse-love God that wrecks a soul's sedan

Ain’t no stain on your heart neither
For the most part, sin’s just a occupational hazard of learnin is all
And what we learn is, well –we gotta lot of growin to do
Tell you a little secret, sin’s but a prerequisite to love

Ain’t no hell either, nope
Hell’s just a place made up by grudgeful folks
Tryin not to feel that way
Shucks, hell ain’t nothin more than just a bad way to be

And there ain’t no God, sorry to say
Well… none ‘cept the one you believe in I 'spose
Just so happens we all gotta believe in somethin
So, I’ll show you mine if you show me yours.  Deal?

And I do hate to tell you, there ain’t no pearly gates neither
Heaven’s just a kind blissful band-aid on account of our petrified fear of death
Nobody wanna die.  That’s the God's-honest truth
But ain’t nobody ever come back I know of, to holler out an "all-clear!"

Sheeit!  They say there was this one guy
Somethin bout a holy death wish on account your wretched soul
Say he’s un-dead as Elvis too
Just if’n you believe

Problem is, ain’t no belief sly enough to really fool the heart
But you feel free to confess it so; go on up to heaven when you die, go on now
Me, I’ll take my heav’n right here, with all its bumps and bruises if’n you don’t mind
Heaven's just a matter of being right with the world as it is, yup, right down to your bones.

Well, I suppose there ain’t no point in belaboring all this
I ‘spect you’ll get along alright, spite this little ol’ talk from me
Cain’t help it my friend
I likes to ruffle feathers a bit is all, I find it keeps a soul honest

Heck!  For what its worth, I’ll say this too
God bless you my friend, God bless.











No comments:

Post a Comment