Saturday, November 3, 2012

Testimony Personal


To me
God as a person-like deity
Is problematic on so many levels

Among other things, this God appears to me so personally
reckless
      blood-thirsty
            petty
                  and wasteful

Reckless in creation
      That evil could fore-knowingly become even a possibility
Blood-thirsty in regret
      That sin should require more ransom than repair
Petty in love and justice
      That righteousness should have only select rites and beliefs
And shameless in waste
      That “providence” must end in the waste a hundred billion souls

So, rejecting this God squarely
I took personal faith to task
And sought to understand divinity elseways

In the end, the God I have come to find
Can be described as ultra-natural rather than super-natural

This God holds ALL things inclusively, mind and matter, good things and bad
And yet expresses ultimate goodness exactly in spite of itself
Surviving all curse, surpassing all blessings

This God is more like a zen poet of justice
      than a crusading perpetrator of love
This God enlightens the world from within
      rather than languishing the world from without

Alas, I have found God all around me
Producing love in spite of Itself
How can I describe it to you?…

Today, I throw my hat in for pan-en-theism.












No comments:

Post a Comment