Thursday, November 29, 2012

Troubling

It seems troubling to me

That a Cosmic Creator would expect
A level of personal responsibility from his creatures
That He does not clearly exemplify Himself

For I do not let my children play in the street
I do not discipline my children by destroying their home
And I do not write them out of my will if they do not accept my gifts

And yet a fatal fruit tree is fair test from God?
And a planet-wide curse is training from His tender hands?
And eternal hell for not believing is the best bequest Providence can bring?

God! What level of shame must we feel about ourselves
To believe that a God who should love us so much
Has to be a hair-triggered tyrant?

It's fear
Our shameful fear of life
For to face a life so frightening
We must have a God more fearful still
More ferocious than our enemies
More fascist that our kings

We as humans are troubling enough
But that there should be a person-God from whom we pick our pattern
Seems catastrophic!

Alas, God is not a maker Agent who sets our morals marching
God is the matchless Absolute which simply holds all matter and meaning
And I believe this is exactly what Jesus meant
When he implored us dearly to his marvelous Papa

Now what's so troubling about that?











No comments:

Post a Comment